Sunday, June 8, 2008

What is Wabi-Sabi?

I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind.
- Albert Einstein


I gave up my high-profile job and lifestyle in Chicago, and have moved to a slower, simpler, MUCH more unassuming and relaxed lifestyle in the Desert Southwest. It is totally unpretentious here, and everything about the slower-paced southwestern US fits me perfectly!

I have become fascinated with verdigris patinas! I guess it's partly because my favorite color is turquoise, and partly because the aging process on various metals is beautiful. Oxidation, rust, toning, patinas of all sorts are each lovely in their own way. I've been experimenting with different methods of hand-patinating copper, brass, silver, even gold, and the fun is in the surprising end result!

I've incorporated these patinated metals into my jewelry, and I've named my store "Wabi Sabi Chic."

The Japanese word "Wabi" means simple, humble, and being one with nature. This word stems from the root wa, which refers to harmony, peace, tranquility, and balance.

My Wabi Collection of jewelry is simple and humble, and beautiful in its uncluttered, authentic imperfection; things that resonate with the spirit of my hands and heart. Wear it to celebrate its minimalism and to remind yourself that beauty lies not in the obvious, but in the imperfect and unique.

***************************

The Japanese word "Sabi" means "bloom of time." It defines the natural progression of things that once sparkled as new, but now "bloom" with tarnish, patina, rust, oxidation. It's the understanding that beauty is fleeting, and Sabi things grow old with grace, dignity and beauty. I've taken vintage objects and re-configured them to show each piece's gift of time. I also give objects of nature a beautiful, rich patina and showcase these pieces on necklaces and bracelets, often with genuine gemstones.

Please check out my jewelry: http://wabisabichic.etsy.com

No comments: